Monday, March 26, 2012

...Bocktown (Robinson) [off-topic]

Twitter makes me hungry.

Most of the people and businesses that I follow on Twitter are in some way related to food - not surprising, since I write this blog, but there are times when that can prove to be a problem.

Like when I'm hungry.

I do have a day job, and I cannot go out to lunch during the week because of my job - so checking Twitter around my own lunchtime makes me super-jealous.  Seeing that the people I follow can go to awesome places downtown, in Market Square, on the South Side, in the Strip District...well, I'm jealous.

Yes, I get summers "off" - but I don't, really, because I have another job, so going out to lunch isn't possible much then, either.  Oh, the woes of having bills to pay.

I have been following the tweets of Bocktown for awhile now, and I had heard great things about their menu.  My brother had gone there a few times, and so had James, and they had both raved about the menu.

Now it was my turn.

James, Food Collage, a few other of Food Collage's friends, and I went to Bocktown in Robinson (there is another location in Monaca) for New Year's Eve.  Of course, we sampled many of the foods that they had to offer before ringing in the New Year:

Carnivore Trio - good, but not my favorite

Beer Cheese and Pretzels - the highlight of the night!

Seared Sesame Tuna Salad

Last week, on an impromptu trip to Ikea for furniture ideas for my enclosed back porch, my brother agreed to come with me, with the stipulation of "We're going to lunch at Bocktown, then."

Ok, no argument here!

Although Bocktown is a place with an enormous selection of beers, that's not why we went.  We went for the food - "pub" food, but high-quality.

My brother insisted that the Buffalo Chicken Dip was just like homemade - so basically, delicious:

Buffalo Chicken Dip
I always hate admitting when he's right, but he was - this was just like the homemade version, but served with WAY better, fresh pita, unlike my choice, which would probably be Tostitos (or if I'm feeling bloated, celery).

For my entree, I chose the Crab Roll, served on garlic bread and reminiscent of the lobster roll at Roland's (which I need to get back to sometime - I haven't been there in about 8 years!)  It was also served with seasoned fries and a pickle spear:

Crab Roll
 Yum yum yum.  It was fabulous - the fries were crispy, the bread was toasted well, and the flavors were on-par with what I expected.  I was so happy with my choice.

My brother chose the Bocktown Burgher (not a typo), his usual, with a side of Bocktown BBQ sauce - he swears it's the best BBQ sauce in the world.  However, when his entree arrived, it had buffalo sauce with it  - our waiter did not write our order down (a pet peeve of my brother's), and was probably thinking buffalo due to our Buffalo Chicken Dip entree.  We were able to track him down, and he apologetically and promptly brought him a cup of Bocktown BBQ sauce.  I did try it on a french fry, and I do believe that it is one of the best BBQ sauces I have ever tasted.  Put that on the list for next time.

I'm thinking this will be a regular spot for those rare occasions when I need to go out to Robinson (usually to go to Ikea).  I know that many people flock there due to the beer selection, but A.) I don't drink and drive, and it's 40 minutes from home, and B.) If I'm consuming calories, I'd rather eat them than drink them.

I'd drive there for the food.  Definitely.

Bocktown Beer and Grill (Robinson)
690 Chauvet Drive
Pittsburgh, PA 15275


Bocktown Beer and Grill on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment