Monday, August 29, 2011

...Smoke (again)


Breakfast for dinner is one of my favorite things in the whole world.  I love breakfast, but who has time to make eggs, bacon, pancakes, etc. in the morning, every morning?  I guess if you didn’t have to be at work until 9 AM, it would be feasible, but for those of us who are at work between 6:30-7:00 AM – cereal or oatmeal will do.

Breakfast for dinner is the perfect solution.

I make breakfast for dinner usually once or twice a week – usually an Egg Beaters omelette, turkey bacon or turkey sausage, maybe some waffles (high fiber, of course), and fruit.  I could probably eat breakfast for every meal, but

I had wanted to visit Smoke in Homestead again for a while to try their breakfast, which is served all day.  ALL DAY. 

Breakfast for dinner! 

This past Monday, I was already in Homestead for a doctor’s appointment, so I figured I would all in my order and pick it up on the way home.  Much to my dismay – they are closed on Mondays!  They also rattled off their new hours for me – they used to open at 7:30 AM, but now they don’t open until 9:00 AM, plus they have set closing times of 7:00 PM and 9:00 PM, depending on the day – before it was basically they closed whenever it wasn’t busy.  The new opening time was no big deal for me, since I go for lunch and dinner.

Breakfast for dinner….OR lunch…mmmm….

Since I was so disappointed that I couldn’t have Smoke’s awesome tacos on Monday, I made it a point to go on Tuesday.  It worked out well, since I had been at school all day – from 8 AM to 5 PM - organizing my classroom, and I did not feel like cooking after working so hard all day.  I called in my order before I left the school, stopped at the ATM (they only take cash), and drove to 8th Ave.

I picked up my order – Mexican migas (basically a breakfast taco with egg, crispy corn tortilla strips, and Mexican veggies), a veggie taco (which I had before and was delicious), and an agua fresca, which today was raspberry-flavored.  I had wanted a horchata, which is a corn drink, but they were out of it.  The bill came to just over $10 with tax, and I paid and took my order home, drinking some of my agua fresca on the way.



I tried the Mexican migas first to satisfy my “breakfast for dinner” desire, and it definitely did the job – I wish that I knew how to combine flavors when I cook the way that they do at Smoke, because whatever magic they work in the kitchen is worth more than the money I paid.  The tortillas are made from scratch, the veggies are fresh, and the eggs are cooked perfectly – not runny and not rubbery.  


 By the way - it was rolled up completely, but I unrolled it so that you could see what was inside (it may not look too appetizing, so I wanted to explain why).

My veggie taco was just as delicious as the first time I had had it.  I’m glad there was consistency.



There are even more menu items that I want to try – I really want to try the horchata, and I hope they’re not out again the next time that I go.  I haven’t tried the side dishes yet, but I’ve heard from others that their mac n’ cheese is great, and I want to try the jalapeno apple slaw, since I can’t imagine what jalapenos and apples taste like together.

To my students - whether it is breakfast, lunch, or dinner, Smoke is your closest, cheapest option for the extra credit assignment.  I hope that if you try anywhere, it is there.

Smoke Barbeque and Taqueria
225 E. 8th Ave.
Homestead, PA 15120

Smoke Barbeque and Taqueria on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I am now curious to this new place, I didnt know it even existed. It all sounds so good. Thanks Becky

    ReplyDelete