Monday, February 27, 2012

...an incredible Nutella find at the Tin Front Cafe

Nutella.



If the sweet taste of this delectable spread has yet to touch your tastebuds, you lead a sheltered, deprived life.  Nutella is the nectar of the gods, the standard to which all sweet spreads should be compared.

People talked about Nutella all of the time when I was on Weight Watchers - how good it was to just spread a thin layer on toast for a sweet treat.  I looked up the nutritional information - not so healthy, really, but ok in moderation.  I was also put off by the term "hazelnut spread", as I am not a fan of hazelnut coffee.

Oh, but one day, I just had to see what all the buzz was about.  I bought a jar.  I put it on toast.

Now I can't keep it in my house, or else it is consumed by the spoonful.

However, I find ways to enjoy Nutella outside of the house.  When James and I visited the super-awesome-fabulous Giant Eagle Market District in Robinson, we ordered crepes with Nutella, strawberries, and bananas.

Crepe from Giant Eagle Market District in Robinson
 Ahhhh.  Divine.

James and I made another visit to the Tin Front Cafe for Sunday brunch recently, since we really liked their setup - order an entree, and the rest is buffet.  I was craving some chili, and their Four Bean Chili is part of that buffet.

We were given copies of the menu for that day, and my eyes automatically drifted toward the Sunday with Elvis - a French toast sandwich with banana and...

NUTELLAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

No questions.  Ordered.  Next.

James went with...some sort of omelet.  I don't know.  I didn't even get a pic.  There was no Nutella involved, so it doesn't even count.

We helped ourselves to the buffet while we waited for our entrees - I started with the roasted potatoes, a Sugared Corn Muffin, orange juice, and - of course - coffee:


Those corn muffins are THE BEST!  I LOVE THE CORN MUFFINS!  Ellie, our waitress, said that they didn't even turn out as well that day - I COULD NOT TELL.  I wanted to stuff my pockets with them (but I controlled myself).

You know what would make them completely irresistible?  Nutella.  Just saying.

Next - the Four Bean Chili.  Such comfort food - AND vegetarian:

Four Bean Chili
 Um, yeah, I went back for more muffins.  I wanted to try the Chocolate Chip Banana Muffin, too, but the Sugared Corn Muffin beckoned as well.  I obliged:

Chocolate Chip Banana Muffin and Sugared Corn Muffin
 Why are muffins not the healthiest things on Earth?  They should be.  Muffins should be like carrots - healthy, and good for your eyes.

Speaking of good for your eyes...

Sunday with Elvis - bananas & Nutella on French toast
 I get goosebumps just looking at this pic - gooey Nutella, paired with bananas, betwixt (yes, betwixt - this sandwich deserves fancy words) a pair of cinnamon-y French toast pieces.  That butter in the pic was never touched.  It was not necessary.  Why it existed on my plate, I will never understand.  This.  Was.  Gooey.  Goodness.

My plate looked like a Nutella murder scene when I was finished, and you had better believe that I used my fork (I am civilized, believe it or not) to scoop up every last drop that I could.

Ellie brought us the check with a small plate of chocolate covered, candied cherries and blueberries, which are available for purchase at the Annex Cookery next door:

Chocolate-covered, Candied Cherries and Blueberries
Both were great, but I preferred the cherries, while James preferred the blueberries, so it worked out perfectly.

The Tin Front Cafe is still an amazing, affordable, cozy place for a Sunday brunch - and now that they have blessed me with a Nutella sandwich, their ranking has soared, at least on my scale.

An added bonus?  Metered parking is free on Sundays in Homestead.  Score.

Oh, and a word of warning - remember when James and I went to Wafels & Dinges in New York City?  I had the waffle with Speculoos?  

Not that you can tell, but that liege wafel has Speculoos under the whipped cream.
  Yeah, he found it at Whole Foods...

Look what it's made from - I mean, really?!  Who could resist?!
I can't keep that in the house, either.  This is a close, CLOSE second to Nutella - so fans, beware of the Speculoos...it's the next best thing...

Tin Front Cafe
216 E. Eighth Ave.
Homestead, PA 15120


The Tin Front Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment