Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Supermarket Find: Dulce de Leche Cheerios

Yeah, I know.  I've been MIA.  Lo siento.

Believe me, I have missed writing.  I've been so busy training for the half marathon on Sunday, that I just have not had time to write - between training, my teaching responsibilities, and the fact that Kennywood opens soon and I'll be working TWO jobs - I've been overwhelmed.  

And, I don't have much time to go out to eat.  THIS IS TRAGIC.  

I've gone to Smoke BBQ Taqueria several times - eating in or taking out - in the last few weeks, though.  It IS the closest taco place to my house, it IS the inspiration for this blog, and it IS...well, AMAZING.  I can't resist.

I did want to share my thoughts on a recent new discovery at the supermarket - Dulce de Leche Cheerios.  I remember when they first hit the shelves, and just about every Latino food blog was using regular AND upside-down exclamation points on Twitter to express their excitement.  I was skeptical, though, as to how this would actually taste.

"Dulce de leche" is the Spanish term for basically - caramel.  Once, I looked up a recipe for "dulce de leche", and it called for removing the label from sweetened condensed milk and submerging it in boiling water - FOR FOUR HOURS.  

Or - warm caramel is a good solution, too.  I am a fan of authenticity, though, so...I won't cheat...

...often.

Being quite the cheapskate, I had a coupon for Dulce de Leche Cheerios, and I was met with my weekly shopping dilemma - either buy it now, or don't use the coupon because it will expire before my next shopping trip.

I caved.  I bought a box (with the coupon) at the Giant Eagle at the Waterfront in Homestead on my usual weekly shopping trip.  I tried the cereal as soon as I got home.



It was good - very sweet, but good.  I had tried the Fiber One Caramel Delight cereal before, and I noticed similarities in the caramel-like taste.  I would eat this cereal for breakfast OR dessert, dry or with milk.  I did try it both dry and with vanilla coconut milk - yummy both ways!

Would I buy it again?  Sure.  However, my go-to favorite flavor of Cheerios remains Honey Nut Cheerios...

Note: I am running the UPMC Sports Medicine Pittsburgh Half Marathon on Sunday, May 6, 2012.  If you would like to track my times, click here and search for my last name: Cibulka.  Pray that I live to review more restaurants!  I'll be wearing a shirt with my bib printed on it (that will not be my actual number) - I think it says it all...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment