Monday, October 22, 2012

A Fall Day and The Franklin Inn

Weekends.  I treasure them.

Especially when I actually HAVE a full weekend.  January to April have become my "slow" months, simply because Kennywood isn't open, and I don't have to work there.  It used to be November to April, but now with Holiday Lights, my slow months have decreased.

Oh well.  I've come to appreciate free time more.

This past weekend was one of those weekends.  I worked Friday night, but did not have to work any other nights, so I had all of Saturday and Sunday to myself.  Really?  REALLY?

Now what should I do?!

Sleep was first on the agenda.  Waking up at 4:30 AM, then working until 1:00 AM with about an hour or so break in between is not easy, so I didn't roll out of bed Saturday until about 11:30 AM.  But, not wanting to waste the day, James and I decided to stop at Smoke BBQ Taqueria for "brunch" (yes, AGAIN - we can't help ourselves), then drive to North Park to take a walk through the peak foliage.

And peak foliage it indeed was.  I couldn't stop taking pictures of trees.  TREES.  Even when it rained, I couldn't stop.

Treeeeeeeeees!!!

Playground by the pool

Panoramic pic from across the swimming pool parking lot
Am I weird?

Since we were already in the North Hills (or to those of use from the South Hills - Canada), we figured dinner at The Franklin Inn was only appropriate, as it WAS voted the #3 Mexican restaurant in Pittsburgh by readers of the Pittsburgh City Paper (tied with Verde Mexican Kitchen and Cantina).

We contacted Food Collage to find out her whereabouts, and she agreed to join us for the meal.

The Franklin Inn
While we waited for Food Collage to arrive, James and I devoured chips with the Black Bean Appetizer - a mix of black beans, hot chile pepper sauce, feta cheese, and a lemon sour cream sauce:

Black Bean Appetizer
The lemon sour cream sounded a bit strange, but it definitely made the appetizer!  It was gone in no time.

We also had chips with some salsa and gaucamole.  I love the guacamole at The Franklin Inn simply because it is A.) chunky, and B.) garlicky:

Chips, salsa, and guacamole
James and I, as usual, decided to get two different entrees to try as many different things as we could.  I chose the Chiles Rellenos with a side salad (with house dressing) and black bean and corn salad:

Chiles Rellenos, Side Salad, Black Bean and Corn Salad
They were awesome.  Fried, not spicy-hot, and delicious.  The black bean and corn salad was definitely a highlight as well.  I remember getting that on my last visit and loving it, and I'm so glad that I chose it again!

James chose the Chicken Enchiladas with Colorado Green Chile Sauce, with a side salad (house dressing) and refried beans:

Chicken Enchiladas with Colorado Green Chile Sauce, Side Salad, Refried Beans
I did like these enchiladas a lot, and I'm not normally a fan of green sauce, but this sauce had a nice flavor to it - not too spicy, and not boring like some of the green sauces I've had at other places.  However, the last time I was there I had the Chicken Enchiladas with Poblano Mole Sauce, and I thought that was better (I'm a sucker for mole).

You just can't go to The Franklin Inn without getting dessert, and Food Collage was all about the Fried Ice Cream.  James and I agreed that it sounded the best, so we all ordered Fried Ice Cream with Caramel Sauce (James and I split one, though - we were full from all of the chips):

Fried Ice Cream with Caramel Sauce
You can never, EVER go wrong with fried ice cream.

It's not hard to understand why people would vote for The Franklin Inn as one of the best - a fun, family atmosphere with excellent Mexican food.  The owners, John and Wendy Cibula (not Cibulka, like me, but Cibula - close!), sure do have a fabulous business, and it's fantastic that they have been recognized as such.  They also are supportive of the many Spanish Clubs in the area, including my own, for which I am so grateful!

If only it were closer...Canada is so far away...


The Franklin Inn
2313 Rochester Rd.
Pittsburgh, PA 15237

Website: http://www.franklininn.net

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FranklinInn?fref=ts
Twitter: https://twitter.com/FranklinInn


Franklin Inn Mexican Restaurant on Urbanspoon

1 comment:

  1. I've actually never heard of this place, and will need to check it out. Thanks for introducing it to me!

    ReplyDelete