Sunday, November 4, 2012

El Dia de los Muertos 2012

I did the impossible (with help from Mexico Lindo):



And then I proved to the kids they wouldn't die or get sick:



And then...the real fun began: Watching kids try something new :-)

DUE TO A COMPLAINT, THE VIDEO HAS BEEN REMOVED.

It was by far the most interesting Dia de los Muertos (pardon my lack of accents, too - Blogger does not allow for such "special" characters to be typed in directly) EVER.  A video that I have shown for many years now from Teacher's Discovery led me on a search for chapulines (grasshoppers) in Pittsburgh.  Many of my students will never travel to Mexico in their lifetime, let alone around the Day of the Dead, but I wanted to do SOMETHING to give them an authentic experience, right from the source.

Well, that search failed - no chapulines in Pittsburgh - but luckily my friends at Mexico Lindo in Squirrel Hill found them for me on their recent trip to Oaxaca, Mexico and were kind and daring enough to bring them back here to Pittsburgh.

With only a few minor gagging incidents, 44 kids were bold enough to try the chapulines.  Many commented that they weren't bad, while some others pretty much psyched themselves out (hence the gagging) and thought they were gross.  I, of course, thought they were good, having tested them out myself for several days prior (figuring that if I didn't get sick - or worse - all would be well.)

We all survived.  We all lived.  And now - we can all say that we ate grasshoppers.  Something new.  Something different.  Something memorable.

Now, my biggest worry - how do I top this next year...?

See below for the full-length video of each student trying the chapulines.

DUE TO A COMPLAINT,. THE VIDEO HAS BEEN REMOVED.


Mexico Lindo
2027 Murray Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15217 (Squirrel Hill)

Website: http://www.mexicolindo.biz
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mexico-Lindo-Mercado-y-Galeria-de-Artesanias/37506054466
Twitter: https://twitter.com/Mexico_Lindo

No comments:

Post a Comment