Friday, February 24, 2012

...Square Cafe, Squared

Breakfast. Is. Awesome.

I was one of those kids who never ate breakfast.  I did like cereal when I was much younger, and typically picked out the marshmallows from Lucky Charms (leaving the actual cereal part behind), or ate some Raisin Bran, or loathed plain old boring Cheerios.  I even went through a phase when I loved regular Kellogg's Corn Flakes.

In middle school, we learned how to make scrambled eggs.  I swear I made them every day for about two months - but usually for lunch or dinner, not breakfast.  What a phase.

When I started Weight Watchers, I realized that I need to eat breakfast to survive.  I ate carefully measured-out cereal, usually Special K, until I realized how addictive Special K cereals were (ALL OF THEM - Fruit & Yogurt, Chocolatey Delight, Vanilla Almond...), and switched to oatmeal.

I am now realizing how awesome breakfasts at restaurants are.  I had great brunches at the Tin Front Cafe and Zenith during my "Very Vegetarian Weekend", and even more recently, I had brunch at the Square Cafe on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.

I had to keep that bank holiday tradition.  On President's Day, I went back.

Inside Square Cafe
 James suggested the restaurant, and I did not hesitate in agreeing with his choice.  Those salmon crepes that I had had last time made me wanting to try more of that delicious-sounding and expansive menu!

We arrived early enough - around 9:15 AM - to be seated right away.  I ordered a Raspberry Truffle Latte as my attempt to be caffeinated and perky for the day:

Raspberry Truffle Latte
It was delicious, but I don't know if it made me perky enough.  Maybe I should have had a second?

So many options for breakfast!  I wanted to stay semi-healthy, as I have been making some pretty awful, out-of-control food decisions lately.  The salmon crepes were so savory and memorable from my last visit that I wanted to stay in the crepe family, so I went with the Vegetable Crepes:

Vegetable Crepes
 James was so jealous of my Caramelized Onion and Smoked Salmon Crepes last time that he had to get them for himself (and share with me, of course):

Caramelized Onion and Smoked Salmon (Lox) Crepes
And, it was National Pancake Week, so we felt the need to at least TRY a Johnny Cake - a "sweet cornmeal pancake topped with caramelized pears, butter, powdered sugar, and whipped cream":

Johnny Cake
Self-control?  Well, I did push that gob of butter to the side, and only ate a tiny bit of the whipped cream...and no syrup.  It wasn't necessary.  The pancake itself was that good.

Everything was delicious.  Everything.  Not one complaint.  The salmon crepes were as savory as the last time, and my Vegetable Crepe was a fantastic choice (and made me feel less guilty).  

That Johnny Cake?  Awesome.  The young, maybe 2- or 3-year old kid at the next table (who was practically breathing on our Johnny Cake - it's pretty cramped in Square Cafe) was eying it up until we had inhaled it (for fear of losing it to the child).  

Upon finishing, James and I took a walk around Regent Square to burn off some calories and just take in the neighborhood.  The houses are beautiful, and how convenient would it be to live within walking distance of so many great businesses, like Square Cafe, Katerbean, and D's Six Pack and Dogs, not to mention being a short drive from Penn Ave., Bakery Square, East Liberty....?

 At least Regent Square is only a short drive from me.  I see many more breakfasts (and lunches, and brunches) there in the future...

Square Cafe
1137 South Braddock Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15218

Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/TheSquareCafe

Square Cafe on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment