Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Food Trucks: Oh My Grill and Dozen Dessert Truck

I love the South Side Step Trek.

It has to be my favorite thing to do in the city.  I've participated for the last 2 years, and I am amazed at how awesome the South Side Slopes are - I never venture to them, since I never have a reason to, but I'm so glad that this event brought this section of the city to my attention.

I got some AWESOME pictures.  I had fantastic pictures last year, and I was worried about this year, since the forecast called for rain; however, the skies cleared, and it turned out to be a beautiful yet chilly day.

This one is my favorite, taken from a balcony in the former St. Michael's Church, now a luxury apartment complex:


My favorite picture from Step Trek 2012
To check out the rest of my Step Trek pictures from this year, click here.

Another wonderful thing that Step Trek brought to my attention was food trucks - I had my first food truck experience last year, when my lunch consisted of my first Franktuary hot dog and a sweet treat from The Goodie Truck, as they were the only two trucks there.  However, this year, Oh My Grill, a grilled sandwich truck, and the Dozen Dessert Truck joined the scene, with The Goodie Truck being absent.


A view from above of the food trucks: Dozen, Oh My Grill, Franktuary
Yup.  No doubt that I needed to try both.  Something new!


Oh My Grill
My mom and our friend Robin were also participants in Step Trek, and they decided to try Oh My Grill right along with me.  We all agreed that the Number One sounded the best: Smoked Gouda, and White Cheddar with Bacon and Caramelized Onions on White Bread with Potato Soup Dip:


Number One
This was one of the most delicious "grilled cheese" sandwiches I have ever had!  It was worth the wait - and I'm not going to lie, the wait is pretty long, about 8 minutes from the time the order is placed (there was no one in front of me, either).  Good food does take time, though, so I didn't mind one bit - especially when the man taking orders wrapped up all 3 orders and put them in a bag, since I had to take all 3 orders back to the table.

We also split a bag of these "Funky Fusion" Dirty All Natural Potato Chips.  Yeah, doesn't sound appetizing, but these were GREAT (and not "dirty")!



Robin waited in line at the Dozen Dessert Truck, which offers delicious cupcakes, cookies, bars, and even customized ice cream sandwiches from its interior.  It was a bit too chilly for ice cream that day, so Robin ordered a half dozen cupcakes to take home (including the Elvis, one of my favorites), and also a cookie for herself, my mom, and I.


Dozen Dessert Truck
For Robin - Ginger Maple:


Ginger Maple
For my mom and I - Oatmeal Chocolate Chip:


Oatmeal Chocolate Chip
MMMMMMMMMMMM.  I've had Dozen's sweet concoctions before, but it's even better when they are conveniently closer to where I am!  Robin let me try some of her cookie, and even though I'm not a big ginger fan, the combo of it with the maple was making me wish that I had chose that one instead!

Hopefully next year, there will be an even BIGGER selection of food trucks at Step Trek NEXT year! (BRGR?  PGH Taco Truck?)....


Oh My Grill
(For locations, follow them on Facebook and Twitter!)

Website: http://ohmygrill.com/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Oh-My-Grill/498957770119748?ref=ts&fref=ts
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ohmygrill

Oh My Grill Mobile Food Truck on Urbanspoon


Dozen Dessert Truck (of Dozen Bake Shop)
3511 Butler St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15201

Website: http://dozenbakeshop.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DozenDessertTruckPittsburgh?fref=ts
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PghDessertTruck


Dozen Bake Shop on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment