Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Esquites!

I haven't tried a new recipe in quite sometime.

Odd, since I tend to cook more in the winter; however, the adventurousness in me has been lacking of late, but I'm ready to start exploring for more cooking adventures.

You know, when I'm about to start working 2 jobs again.  Perfect timing [sarcasm].

One recipe that had been stored away for "future cooking" was a recipe from my favorite Latino cooking site, Flaming Tortillas.  With the advent of the Pittsburgh food truck scene, street food has become increasingly popular, from the trucks themselves to the many vendors along Penn Avenue in the Strip District (especially on weekends), including the PGH Crepes Cart.

The recipe? Esquites.

On my visit to Round Corner Cantina, esquites was on the menu, but I didn't order them because of the many, MANY tacos I ate that night.  In addition, I wanted to try this recipe before I ate someone else's version.

To describe equites simply, I would call it "spicy corn", because it is exactly that, yet so much more.  Typically served in cups, this Mexican dish is right up there with tacos in terms of it's ease of portability and tastiness.  The heat level?  That's up to you, but I totally made mine SPICY (note the emphasis).

I'm so glad that I finally tried this recipe! I will make these often - but I'm sure if I made them for other people, I would have to adjust the heat level (slightly).

For the complete recipe, click here.

You're not from Pittsburgh until you've husked corn into a Giant Eagle bag
Husked corn rock star

The hard part: Getting the corn off of the cob (there's a Pampered Chef tool for that, which I don't own!)
The main heat-maker: Serrano pepper
Serrano and piquin peppers in butter
Add the corn and salt
Mix with mayo, then top with queso fresco, cayenne pepper, chili powder, and lime juice!
Ta-da! Buen provecho!
Easy!  Let me know what you think!


Flaming Tortillas

No comments:

Post a Comment