Tuesday, July 31, 2012

1 Year of Sabor

It's been a crazy year.


One year ago today, I posted my very first blog post on "Señorita Cibulka Savors", which later became "Sabor PGH".  So much has happened since.  So, so much.


My first mention in print - Edible Allegheny
First and most importantly, I created a different extra credit project for my students.  "Different" in that it wasn't an extra assignment from the textbook, nor was a it a research report - it was an opportunity for students to get out into the Pittsburgh area and try "real" Hispanic/Latino foods.  Not Taco Bell.  Not Chipotle.  Not Qdoba.  


A taste of another country - one you may never get to experience "for real", not far from your own doorstep.  How awesome!


Communities" is one of the American Council for the Teaching of Foreign Languages' (ACTFL) standards, and probably the most difficult one for teachers to include in lessons.   Seriously, how do you incorporate the community when the Hispanic/Latino population in the area is extremely small?


You do what I'm doing. 


Although I was met with some criticism - like, "Why do I have to spend money to get extra credit?" - I think that the first year was a success.  There will be some adjustments this year, as I have reflected upon the past year, but the overall concept remains the same: Get out and try something new.


Second, I made new friends.  One of the first was Food Collage, and I consider her (and her new DH) to be some of my best friends.  Sharing a passion for great food here in Pittsburgh, a passion for trying new recipes, and a willingness to share ideas and opinions makes it so much fun to hang out together.  I've also spent time with other food bloggers, such as FoodBurgh, Pittsburgh Taste Buds, and Frugal Foodie Mama, as well as those from "other" blogs, such as Ya Jagoff and 101 Achievements, and can't say enough about the great times I've had.  


Third, I have met some wonderfully talented chefs: Jeff Petruso (and his lovely wife Nelda Carranco) of Smoke BBQ Taqueria (which inspired me to start the blog): Shelbin Santos of Chicken Latino; Kevin Sousa of Salt of the Earth, Station Street Hot Dogs, and Union Pig and Chicken; Keith Fuller of Root 174; David Montanez of Las Velas; and Antonio Fraga of Casa Rasta.  These are but a few of the great people making great food in Pittsburgh - I can only imagine what they - and others - will come up with next.  Food in Pittsburgh is great, and it's getting...greater.


In addition, I've also met other people who do wonderful food-related things - most especially Sylvia McCoy of 'Burgh Bits and Bites Food Tours, which allow native and non-native Pittsburghers to have a fantastic foodie experience through several of Pittsburgh's neighborhoods.  I had the opportunity to participate in 2 tours - one in Dormont and the other in Brookline.  If you have any questions as to whether or not Pittsburgh has great food, you NEED to go on one (or two, or all) of these tours!


One of my best meals ever was at Rayuela in New York City
Furthermore, I've had the opportunity to explore my own cooking and baking abilities.  From recreating the pandebono at Rayuela in New York City to designing 3-D truck cookies, I'm surprised at how much I enjoy cooking and baking - even with eating out as much as I do.  Don't worry - I have even more ideas up my sleeves...


Taco Truck 3-D Cookie

Surprise inside!












Next, I have had the opportunity to discover so much more about Pittsburgh - besides food.  I participated in several 5Ks (you know, to burn off the calories that I eat) in addition to running the UPMC Health Center City of Pittsburgh Half Marathon and walking miles of steps and roads during South Side Step Trek.  I have learned more about Pittsburgh and the surrounding area in the last  year than I had known living in this area my entire life - all because I got out and tried new things.  Anyone who says there is nothing to do in this town obviously puts no effort into finding things to do.


Stunning view of the city during South Side Step Trek
My first food truck was the Franktuary Truck at Step Trek!
Last but definitely not least - James.  I met him through my blog and Twitter.  There was no other previous communication besides our conversations about Smoke BBQ Taqueria on Twitter, which led to that infamous DM: "Wanna grab a taco sometime?"  


James and I
And then, after realizing that we had much in common, including the reason we started our blogs - to make others aware of the great places to eat in Pittsburgh so that they stay in business - we started dating, and haven't looked back since.  I'm not into ooey-gooey, sappy expressions of my feelings, so I'll say this - thank you to this blog for bringing this wonderful, driven, risk-taking man into my life.  I wouldn't have met him without you, and life would be so much less fulfilling without him.


So what's next?:
  
- More food.  More discoveries.  More memories.  And hopefully - more friends.
- PGH Taco Truck.  So, so soon.  I can't wait to be a part of the excitement.  
- An event.  It will happen.  I'll make sure of it.


PGH Taco Truck.  Coming soon.  Very soon.
Stay tuned.  Thanks for reading.  Buen provecho.


Most beautiful city.  Anywhere.



4 comments:

  1. Congrats on a year of blogging! Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww...thanks for the love. Love you back! I'm so thankful that our blogs allowed our paths to cross. Happy Birthday, Sabor PGH!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey... Just stumbled onto your blog from a friend's posting on FB. I'm not much of the techie-driven, twitter-handling nature, but I do appreciate food and I do appreciate Pittsburgh, my adoptive hometown. So much so that a few months ago I started my own blog, very similar to yours. It's a recent venture, so there's not much in the way of posts, but I agree with you that whomever lives in Pittsburgh and is bored just has no idea what it is that they have been given.

    So I invite you to read my blog, as I will be doing with yours.

    http://paisainpittsburgh.blogspot.com. My delvings are going to be more universal, of course, straying into architecture, food, neighborhoods, hobbies, celebrations, scenery, life in general.

    Love your blog. Will be checking in regularly. And, by the way, if you haven't yet, check out Gran Agave at the Waterfront.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See, this is why I LOVE YaJagoff...Not only is the blog great, but he often points me in the direction of wonderful things that I had no idea existed! I am so excited about finding this blog! I absolutely love food blogs and I absolutely love hispanic/latino food (authentic of course). So now, I will be able to come here and find wonderful new places to eat! So exciting!! Yay!!

    ReplyDelete